Coffee is acidic for sure which may be a problem with ulcer sufferers or people with certain health conditions but that is not an excuse not to indulge in your favorite drink thanks to low acid coffee k cups. As much as all coffee is acidic, there is a way that it can be made such that it is less acidic. The acidity in coffee does not necessarily relate to the taste of the drink. It is the content of the coffee which includes phosphoric acid, citric acid, acetic acid, tartaric acid, and Quinic acid. Even though most people fail to realize the effect coffee can have on them, it can lead to adverse effects on some people such as:
Enamel damage: The acidity in the drink can damage the enamel of your teeth which will make you get tooth decay or sensitive teeth.
Discoloration of teeth: Due to the tannins in coffee it may change the color of your teeth with time makes it have a yellow-brown tinge.
It can cause acid reflux: Due to its low PH levels, it can affect the esophageal sphincter which with time may trigger the backward flow of your stomach contents.
It can perforate the stomach lining
The best part is that as much as coffee may have those negative effects and it’s scary, it will not affect everyone in the same way. If you are one of the people it affects it is good to understand how you can reduce acidity.
The many compounds in coffee are normally altered in the process of making coffee. It is affected by both heat and moisture and all that affects the acid level in the coffee. That means that you can actually control the acidity in your coffee. Some of the ways of reducing acidity in coffee includes:
- Cold brewing of the coffee as it has been said to reduce its acidity level.
- Dark roasting the coffee beans. As much it may not reduce the acidity of the coffee, it produces a compound that helps to protect the stomach lining.
- Using alternative roasting processes such as steam and water processes as it helps to reduce the acid levels in the coffee.
- Using low acid coffee k-cup: This is whereby the coffee beans are roasted using a unique process to make sure that even though it reduces the acidity it can still maintain other important components such as antioxidants, vitamins, nutrients, and minerals. It makes sure the coffee is not very acidic with a ph. of lowest 5.8 which is safe for most people. In addition to that, the coffee is less bitter. There are many types of coffee k-cups and all have different features that differentiate them.
- Basically, to end up with the best you will have to do your research and comparison in order to know what will best suit your needs. What is best for someone else may not necessarily be the best for you.